2020 / 2021 Voluntary Student Accident Insurance Information for Parents

  • McGriff Insurance Services
    Dear Parents:
    The school district is pleased to offer a voluntary insurance program which is available for purchase at minimal cost, to all elementary, middle and high school students. For details, please refer to the Voluntary Insurance documents located in the navigation window left. The plans are underwritten by an "A" rated company and are endorsed by the N.C. High School Athletic Association and the N.C. Athletic Directors Association.

    These Plans are Limited Benefit Secondary Policies!

    They may not pay 100% of the medical bills for a school injury, or even the balance after your primary insurance pays.

    1. This means two things:The benefit categories have maximum amounts that are paid out; and 
    2. The plan pays after any Primary Insurance your child may have. Please review the partial list of benefits on coverage information sheet found in the navigation menu, left.
    It is Important to Have and/or Purchase Additional Coverage: Accidents may cause an individual to need extensive medical treatment which can be very costly. Therefore, it’s recommended that you purchase additional insurance. K&K offers additional insurance online at www.studentinsurance-kk.com. For as little as $9, you can double the benefits!

    How to File a Claim for a School Injury:

    1. The student MUST see a doctor within 60 days of the
      • This visit should be filed under your Primary
      • Request that the provider file to K&K as Secondary

    2. Obtain a claim form from the school or download at studentinsurance-kk.com.
      • Click “File a Claim” located under “Quick Services” on the left side of the
      • Download and Print the “Participant Accident” claim

    A claim cannot be processed without a claim form!
    1. Follow the instructions on the claim form. Fill out the claim form COMPLETELY and SIGN IT. A school official must also sign the claim form. Send the completed claim form to the K&K Claims Department within 90 days of the date of injury.
    2. Request the Itemized Forms (Forms UB04, UB92, or CMS 1500) with CPT/Diagnostic Codes from each provider. CPT codes are required for processing. Submit the itemized forms to K&K.

    3. When you receive the Explanation of Benefits (EOB's) from your Primary Insurance, forward the EOB(s) to K&K.

    4. Be sure to keep a copy of all paperwork for your records!

    Filing a claim after an injury is YOUR responsibility. Do not assume that the health care provider or a school official will do this for you. Under HIPAA privacy laws, the school nor insurance agent can obtain claim information from an insurance company or health care provider without your written permission.

    We are happy to be selected as your insurance agent for the 2020-2021 school year and will do all that we can to be sure that you receive the best possible service. If, at any point, you have a question or need additional information, just call us tollfree 1.800.476.4339 ext. 1345. We will be happy to assist you.
    Gail Gray & Dan Nunnery