1. Am I an eligible candidate?
The answer to this question depends upon whether you want to participate in the State loan process or if you plan to self-pay.
A. If you want the State loan you must meet the following criteria:
- have completed three full years in NC Public Schools
- hold a valid, clear, continuing Standard Professional II NC teaching license
- have not previously received state funds for participating in the NBPTS assessment
- are engaged in classroom instruction, media work, or counseling 70% of the academic year
* If you have just completed your third full year in NC, please wait until mid-July to apply or you application may be rejected and your fee is non-refundable.
B. If you would like to pay the $1900 assessment fee, you must meet the following criteria:
- hold a bachelor's degree
- have completed three full years of teaching/counseling experience
- possess a valid state teaching/counseling license for that period of time, or, if teaching where a license is not required, have taught in schools recognized and approved to operate by the state