Wolf Meadow Elementary - School Counseling
Degrees and Certifications:
BS in Political Science - Public Policy North Carolina State University MA in Professional School Counseling Appalachian State University
Ms. Holly Cottom
School counselors aim to promote the academic, career, and personal/social development of students through direct and indirect student services.
Direct student services are in-person interactions between counselors and students which include classroom lessons, individual student planning to assist students in meeting their personal goals, and responsive services to meet immediate needs and concerns.
Indirect student services include consultation and collaboration with families, other school staff members, and community organizations on behalf of students.
The focus of my work is to…
• Build positive and supportive relationships with all students and advocate for their success in a variety of domains.
• Conduct individual and small group counseling sessions to meet a variety of student’s needs.
• Support students and families through crisis situations.
• Utilize a variety of counseling theories and techniques such as Solution-Focused Brief Therapy, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, and Play Therapy.
• Make referrals for or connect students and families with outside assistance from mental health agencies or other community resources.
• Help organize, manage, and evaluate the schools’ counseling program and core counseling curriculum.