Good attendance is critical for success in school. All absences will be coded unexcused unless a valid/lawful email or a written note from the parent/guardian is received within two days. Tardies and early dismissals both are reflected on the report card as tardies. State law allows absences to be excused for the following reasons:
- Illness or injury
- Death in the immediate family
- Medical or dental appointments (doctor note required)
- Court or administrative proceedings
- Religious observance (up to two each academic year)
- Educational opportunity - Your request must be submitted for consideration at least three days prior to absence. An explanation of the trip/opportunity must be given.
CCS Elementary School Tardy Policy - Effective January 2020
Parents and families are essential in promoting good school attendance, and research shows that good school attendance contributes to academic success.
Cabarrus County Schools recently updated its attendance policy, in grades K-8 to address excessive absences and tardies. When a student accumulates a combined total of 5 unexcused tardies (this includes early unexcused checkouts), each totaling 15 minutes or more, he/she will now receive one unexcused absence.
We understand that some absences are unavoidable, but we are asking that do all you can to keep them to a minimum. Good school habits help students get the most out of their education.
You can find information about the attendance policy update on p. 19 of the online Parent Information & Student Code of Conduct handbook, or you can review Policy 4400 in its entirety through the online Policy Manual. Both are accessible from our district website at www.cabarrus.k12.nc.us