CCS Attendance Guidance
Effective August 2021
If a student is absent, an excuse note from the parent or doctor must be emailed or faxed to the attendance coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 704-260-6659, within 2 days of the absence. Automated calls from the County Office will be sent out if student is marked absent in class.Good attendance is critical for student success. An email, a written note from the parent/guardian or doctor's note must be received within 2 days of the students return to school.The superintendent, principal, or teacher who is in charge of a school has the right to excuse a student temporarily from attendance on account of sickness or other unavoidable cause. (Below are the valid/lawful excuses for temporary nonattendance of a student at school.)
*Parents must send a note to the attendance office prior to check-out, at email@example.com, or call the attendance office at 704 - 260 - 6638.Beginning January 28, 2020, there will be no student check outs after 1:45pm. This new time will be strictly enforced as of March 2, 2020.
- Illness or Injury: When the absence results from illness or injury which prevents the student from being physically able to attend school.
- Quarantine: When isolation of the student is ordered by the local health officer or by the State Board of Health.
- Death in the Immediate Family: When the absence results from the death of a member of the immediate family of the student. For the purpose of this regulation, the immediate family of a student includes, but is not necessarily limited to, grandparents, parents, brothers, and sisters. An obituary is required. A maximum of 3 days will be excused.
- Medical or Dental Appointments: When the absence results from a medical or dental appointment of a student.
- Court or Administrative Proceedings: When the absence results from the attendance of a student at the proceedings of a court or an administrative tribunal if the student is a party to the action or under subpoena as a witness. The Local Board of Education can be considered an administrative tribunal.
- Religious Observance: School principals are required to authorize a minimum of two excused absences each academic year for religious observances required by faith of a student or a student’s parents. The student shall be given the opportunity to make up any tests or other work missed due to this excused absence. (S.L. 2010-112)
- Local School Board Policy: LEAs may excuse temporary or occasional absences for other reasons in accordance with local school board policies, provided that the student has been in attendance for at least one-half of a school day during the current school year.
- Absence related to deployment activities: - A student whose parent or legal guardian is an active duty member of the uniformed services and has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or immediately returned from deployment to a combat zone or combat support posting for the purpose of visiting said parent or legal guardian. ( G.S. 115C-407.5Article V (E) )
- Child Care: Absences due to the illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child of whom the student is the custodial parent are to be coded excused (lawful). (G.S.115C-375.5)
Last Modified on May 25, 2021