What parents can do:
- Starting in kindergarten, too many absences can cause a child to fall behind
- Missing 10% (or 18 days) can make it harder for a child to learn to read
- Students can fall behind even if they miss one or two days every few weeks
- As a parent, you are responsible for making sure your child develops good attendance habits
A word about tardies......
- Set a regular bedtime and morning routine
- Don’t let your child stay home unless he/she is truly sick. Sometimes a complaint of a stomach ache orheadache might be anxiety. Speak with a school social worker or school counselor.
- Chronic tardiness in elementary school is often linked to failure in high school
- The parent of a chronically tardy child does not have to enter a classroom and try to play ‘catch-up’;that task is left to the parent’s tardy child
- And as much as the chronically tardy child tries to be ‘invisible’ upon entering the classroom, everyone notices