Degrees and Certifications:
B.S. Middle Grades Education with Concentrations in Science and Social Studies
Mrs. Amanda Linker
Welcome to 8th Grade Science and Social Studies! I am excited about returning to Mount Pleasant Middle School as a teacher for the eighth year. I am a graduate of Mount Pleasant High School. Go TIGERS!!! I earned my undergraduate degree from East Carolina University in Middle Grades Education. Go PIRATES!!! I encourage parent involvement, so please do not hesitate to contact me via remind or email. I will be updating my website frequently with assignments and announcements. I am looking forward to teaching your child this year!
- Remind: Remind is a great tool to help you stay organized in science class. You will receive text messages/emails to remind you about assignments and due dates. It is also another way to send me a message directly. I will try to respond in a timely manner. Please do not send a message between 8:00pm and 7:00am.
- Email: (email@example.com) I will always try to respond within twenty-four hours on school days. If an email is received over the weekend or on a holiday it may take longer to receive a response. If you have not received an email after twenty-four hours, please resend your email because it may have gone into our spam-filters. Thank you for patience and understanding in advance.
- Guardians: Please be sure to include in the email the student's full name and how you are connected with the student (guardian, parent, grandparent, etc.). We often have a lot of students with duplicate first names, so I need a first and last name please. Please let me know in the email what format is best to reach you (email, phone, etc.) and what time of day.
- Students: If you are emailing me from an email account other than your school email address, be sure to include your first and last name in the email.
- Office Hour: I will be available for video conferencing via Microsoft Teams from 3:00pm-4:00pm Monday through Thursday. Please be aware that I can only conference with one group at a time, so if I am not available, I am in another meeting. If that happens, please send me a message via email or Remind, so I can try to arrange another time to talk via Microsoft Teams.
- Extra Help: Extra help outside of the designated office hour is available via Microsoft Teams, by appointment. Please email or send a Remind message to set up an appointment. Students should be prepared with specific topics or work that they need help with.
Current Science Topic
8th Grade Science: Introductions, Team Building, and Learn to Navigate Virtual Learning
8th Grade Science/Earth and Environmental Science: Introductions, Team Building, and Learn to Navigate Virtual Learning
One of my goals this year for my students is to help them begin thinking and communicating like scientists, thus they will need to use the language of science. We will focus on learning the unique vocabulary as we try to understand new concepts, phenomena, and solve problems.
One tool we will be using is the program called "Quizlet." It is a great tool to help learn, master, and review essential vocabulary terms. Each student will have their own account. They will be required to complete various activities on Quizlet for specific vocabulary lists. We will be setting up these accounts during the first two weeks of school.