Welcome to Mrs. Moore's Class 2020-2021Updated 12/10/2020
Unit 2 on Physics Sound & Light Flash cards will be due Jan. 6th The quiz will be Jan 7th. Thursday
Sound and Light Vocabulary
1. Volume: how loud a sound is, determined by its amplitude (high amplitude = high volume, low amplitude = low volume)
2. Decibels: the units used to measure the volume of a sound
3. Pitch: how high or low of a note a sound is, determined by its frequency (high frequency = high pitch, low frequency = low pitch)
4. Electromagnetic Spectrum: the range of transverse waves that are able to transfer energy without requiring a medium
5. Reflection: when a wave bounces off a surface that it does not go through; waves reflect at an equal angle in the opposite direction
6. Refraction: the bending of a wave as the wave passes between two substances, causing the speed of the wave to change
7. Visible Light: range of wavelengths on the electromagnetic spectrum that can be seen by the eye (ROYGBIV); the ONLY kind we see
8. Absorption: the transfer of energy to particles of matter; energy from waves is “soaked up” by a substance
9. Scattering: an interaction of light with matter that causes light to change its energy, direction of motion, or both; causes blue skies and red-orange sunrises and sunsets
Explorer Team Grading Policy :The Grading scale is 10 pt scale.100 -90 = A89-80= B79-70 = C69- 60 = D59 and below =FVIRTUAL LATE POLICY: Late Work PolicyIf a student has not submitted an assignment on time, each teacher shall follow the following grading outline provided below:1. Students have 5 days from the assigned due date to submit the work without any grade penalty.2. Each week following the 5 day initial grace period, a student may receive a 5pt deduction from total grade for the assignment.3. Students must submit all missing work before the end of the progress report period (both 4.5weeks andthen before end of grading period). Teachers are not required to accept late work that was due during the previous 4.5 weeks reporting period (progress report/quarter end).
Mrs. Wendy Moore
Phone: 704-2606490 ext 36609
Degrees and Certifications:
Early Ed. K- 6 and Science HQ 6-8
Did you forget how to login to power school ?? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdbDrOEZRqUvANd1qTdnsjp6pQ0nX7qUKfWib_VVSRiWX5IMA/viewformMiddle School Parent Survival TipsPLEASE CHECK OUT MY LINKS ANDCLASS DOCUMENTS FORADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Our Curriculum is as follows from the
essential standards from the NCDPI website:
*6P1: Understanding properties of waves of energy in Earthquakes, light, and sound.
* 6P2: Understand the structure, classifications and physical properties of matter.
*6P3: Understand characteristics of energy transfer and interactions of matter and energy.
*6E1: Understand the Earth/moon/ sun systems, and the properties, structures and predictable motions of celestial bodies in the Universe.
*6E2: Understand the structure of the Earth and how interactions and destructive forces have resulted in changes in the surface of the Earth over time.
*6L1: Understand the structures, process and behaviors of plant that enable them to survive and reproduce.
*6L2: Understand flow of energy through ecosystems and the responses of the population to the biotic and abiotic factors of their environment.
6th Grade Starter Kit
1 Pack of Pencil Top Erasers
1 Pkg 3 Ring 8 Tab Dividers Set
1 Pkg Colored Pencils Sharpened (12 in pk)
8 Glue Sticks
2 Pkgs #2 Pencils Sharpened (12 in pk)
4 Highlighters (yellow, pink, orange and blue)
1 Binder Ring (for Index Cards)
1 Pencil Sharpener
1 Pkg Wide Rule Filler Paper
1 Pkg Multi-Colored Pens
7 Marble Cover Composition Books
2 Pkgs Index Cards (100/pack)
1 Pencil Case - 3 Hole
1 Pkg Graph Paper
1 Pair Scissors
3 Packs 3x3 Yellow Post It Notes
1 Set Ear Buds