The Opportunity School has transformed the alternative learning environment for Cabarrus County Schools over the past five years to include a model of academic, behavioral, and emotional supports for students of all backgrounds in grades 6-12. The Opportunity School is a PBIS Green Ribbon School as recognized by the NC Positive Behavior Intervention and Support Initiative for the fourth consecutive year.
Cabarrus County Schools middle and high schools students are assigned to the Opportunity School through a referral process which is initiated by the student’s home school administration and finalized by the administrative services office. We consist of three separate programs housed in one facility on the Glenn Center Campus. These programs are as follows:
- Opportunity Middle School (alternative placement assignment)
- Opportunity High School (alternative placement assignment)
Our school is designed with three Tiers of educational assignment based on student needs:
- Tier 1 - regular school day program from 10 AM-3:50 PM with bus transportation
- Tier 2 - Twilight evening program: online courses on Tuesdays/Thursdays from 4-7 PM and facilitated by a certified Opportunity staff member.
- Tier 3 - Online courses completed at home on a computer with weekly progress checks by certified Opportunity staff member.
The Opportunity School provides students access to core courses such as English, math, social studies, science, physical education, and certain CTE electives. We also have an Exceptional Children’s Department who work individually with identified students to help them meet their educational and behavioral goals. Although we do not offer extra-curricular activities, we have scheduled enrichment programs, incentive activities, literacy fairs, student groups and counseling services.