The National Honor Society of Cox Mill High School
NHS School Affiliation Number: 00558004
Advisers: Helen Mathews and Lindsey Herndon
The National Honor Society is a leader among organizations and societies that promote appropriate recognition for students who reflect outstanding accomplishments in the areas of scholarship, character, leadership, and service.
Rising seniors must meet the requirements for:
- Scholarship: A cumulative weighted GPA of 4.2 or higher after the 2nd semester of the junior year. (This GPA comes from all 3 high school years but does not include any high school credits earned in middle school or rounding up of a GPA).
- Service: At least 10 hours of documented community service within the junior year and at least 1 out-of-school activity in which they actively participate.
- Leadership: Adequate leadership qualities which are detailed through teacher recommendations.
- Character: Have demonstrated positive character traits in their choices both in and out of school.
Understanding the Obligations of Membership
Students who accept membership and are inducted into the chapter should be aware of the time and commitment involved with this honor. For example, there will be chapter meetings. The chapter bylaws should articulate the yearly meeting schedule and member attendance obligations. Members also must participate in chapter and individual service projects to benefit the school and community.
The NHS ScholarshipSince 1946, the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) has awarded more than $21 million in scholarships to outstanding NHS seniors. This year, NASSP is awarding $2 million in scholarships to 600 students. Each year, scholarship recipients are selected based on their demonstration of the four pillars of NHS: Scholarship, Service, Leadership, and Character.
Applications for the 2023-24 National Honor Society (NHS) Scholarship Program will open in the fall. All NHS senior members in good standing will be eligible to apply.
Projects and Activities
Spring Volunteering OpportunitiesNHS members are expected to take part in at least one of these events:
Option 1: CMES Servants With a Heart
- CMES needs 10-15 volunteers to help out on Friday March 24th from 7-8 AM
- Help unload equipment into the school gym - must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Pick up a permission form from Ms. Herndon if interested. Parent permission forms due 3/17.
Option 2: CMES field days
- May 2-3 2023
- Choose one of the days to volunteer
- Help CMES teachers and staff run the games and events
- 5 volunteer hours
- Complete the Google form here and pick up a permission form from Ms. Herndon if interested. Parent permission forms are due 3/31.
Option 3: donation drive
- Check back here and check your email for details in the coming weeks - student-led donation event
- Donation drive to take place after spring break
Meeting Agendas and Minutes
NHS spring meeting 3/13
Slides from the spring NHS meeting Monday 3/13
Fall Meeting 10/31
Slides/notes from the first NHS meeting Oct. 31 2022