Phone: Google phone number: (980) 429-4039
Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor degree in teaching Spanish/English translator Master of Arts in TESOL (Teaching English as a SEcond Language)
Ms. Mónica Szpak
I am originally from Argentina and I have been living in the US for two years. I have been selected to form part of an exchange program for teachers sponsored by the US Department of State with the purpose to teach the language and become cultural ambassadors, so I am learning from you as well!
I have been teaching language for more than 30 years. I graduated as a teacher of English and a Spanish/English translator from the University of Córdoba in Argentina and then completed my Masters of Arts in TESOL from California State University. I have worked in elementary, middle, high schools and as a university professor and teacher trainer. I was the curriculum designer for my province and chaired the teachers´ professional association.
I am passionate about teaching languages and I am looking forward to sharing this with you all.
I welcome you to a new semester at West Cabarrus High School! Over the course of the semester, we will be studying the Spanish language and the various cultures associated with it. Our goal every semester is to increase students´ communicative proficiency in Spanish; in other words, we want students to be able to use Spanish in the real world. This includes speaking, reading, listening and writing activities, as well as the development of vocabulary and grammar, which will help to structure sentences. Moreover, through language learning, students will gain an appreciation for, and understanding of, foreign cultures as they compare and contrast them with their own– key skills in our increasingly diverse and globalized society.
Questions from students and parents are always welcome, so please feel free to contact me using the information above with any concerns you may have. I encourage everyone to have an active role in our school learning community!
1ST BLOCK Spanish IV - HONORS
2ND BLOCK PLANNING
3RD BLOCK Spanish II
4TH BLOCK Spanish II
You will be able to see ALL our content on CANVAS. In case you miss any lesson, ALL our activities are there with links to the material used in class.
- Understand words and concepts presented in the target language.
- Use the target language to engage in interpersonal communication.
- Use the target language to present information to an audience.
- Compare the students´ culture and the target culture
- Sit in your assigned seat as soon as class starts and remain in your seat unless directed otherwise
- Be attentive during lessons: raise your hand if you would like to speak. No sleeping or putting one´s head down.
- Be respectful of the teachers and your peers at all times
- Work exclusively on Spanish assignments during class. No work from other classes is allowed.
- Follow all the rules and guidelines in the students´ handbook
- An organization system: Binder, notebook, folder, etc.
- Earphones that can be used on the Chromebook
- Charged Chromebook & own charger
- Classwork/Assignments: 25%
- Quizzes: 25%
- Projects: 25%
- End of unit Tests: 25%
- There will be between 4 to 8 graded assignments per week. Most of them will be classwork. There will be other assignments which will only be marked as complete or incomplete, which you need to cover to practice.
- By the end of each unit there will be a project and a test.
- Projects require the application of vocab, grammar, writing and speaking skills.
- Tests will focus mainly on reading, listening, though vocab and grammar may also be included..
- All assignments need to be complete by the end of the unit. Once the new unit starts, they will be closed.
Please, visit the SYLLABUS SECTION on CANVAS for a more detailed syllabus.
There are no upcoming events to display.