Good attendance is critical for success in school. All absences will be coded unexcused unless a valid/lawful email or a written note from the parent/guardian is received within two days. Tardies and early dismissals both are reflected on the report card as tardies. State law allows absences to be excused for the following reasons:
- Illness or injury
- Death in the immediate family
- Medical or dental appointments (doctor note required)
- Court or administrative proceedings
- Religious observance (up to two each academic year)
- Educational opportunity - Your request must be submitted for consideration at least two weeks prior to absence. An explanation of the trip/opportunity must be given.
Please fill out either the Absence Excuse Form or the Educational Opportunity Form. It will be sent directly to our data manager. Our data manager will forward the information to your child's teacher.
**Click here to complete the Hickory Ridge Elementary Absence Excuse Form.**Click here to complete the Hickory Ridge Elementary Educational Opportunity Form online or click here to download the K-8 Educational Opportunity Form. This form can then be filled out and turned into our front office. This form must be completed and submitted to the principal two weeks prior to the absence in order for the absences to be considered as valid/lawful. No student will be excused for more than the five (5) school days per school year. Approval for such an absence(s), however, must be granted prior to the absence(s). (School Attendance & Student Accounting Manual, Public Schools of North Carolina, 2009-2010, Chapter 2, Section IV-D)