Hello Bio-Students (and Parents)
Well, it finally happened, no school for the remainder of the year. I have heard from some of you how sad you are for siblings who are seniors, how you are just fine hanging out and doing online classes, how you are missing school for the first time ever, how you are grateful for your families health and for the extra work hours, how you have started online businesses, and that you are lonely. There is no wrong feeling. A saying I use to reflect on my own thoughts: Just because you feel it, does not make it real. Just because you think it does not make it true.
I hope that you and your family are healthy. I am happy to report that all members of my family are fine at this time. I had several friends and distant family members who have been sick, but all have fully recovered.
- Tuesday, open office hours for students in Microsoft Teams in the ALL Biology Classroom from 2-4
- Outside class hours, just email me and make an appointment.
- If you are just starting, go to the edpuzzle for 3/30 then jump to tomorrow's assignment 4/28 , if you want go back and do the work posted April 6 and on.
- Did your parents fill out the school bus survey? Show them the link in google classroom so they can do this please. By April 30th.
What is coming up:
- “Test” on transport, check answers posted on flipgrid and in google teams. While the assignment says it is due today, that is for pacing. See notes on grading below.
- Learning about fermentation (Anaerobic Cellular Respiration)
- Respiration (Aerobic Cellular Respiration)
- Photosynthesis (Photosynthesis)
- Review Carbon Cycle by applying Photosynthesis and Respiration
- I am grading work on Monday from the previous week.
- Late work will also be graded on Monday or Tuesday.
- If there is a concern about completed work, students should email me and copy their parent if applicable. Some parents don’t do the email thing.
- Keeping with class policy, work over 10 days due will not be graded. Students will need to email me for exemptions IE I had a student who just received internet access and another who was in the hospital for a few days.
- You need to earn a 60% on an assignment for it to be marked complete.
I hope you are getting out and moving around. While I am not a doctor, at least a mile a day of walking and other exercise is important. Go outside: Sun helps with a positive attitude as well as being outside is known to improve physical health even if you are already sick (Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504358/ and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2290997/)
Phone: 740 338 2253 (google voice)
Degrees and Certifications:
Biology Degree from Ohio Dominican University National Board Certification AYA Science
Mrs. Karen Booker
Here is a bit about what you will need to know for class and a little about me via a presentation: Click here.
This is my first year at Central Cabarrus and I have been teaching in North Carolina since 1996. That year, with a new degree in Biology, a new teaching certification, and just married, I moved to Charlotte to start my teaching career. I have taught at a wide range of schools and a wide range of subjects, but biology is my passion and I am happy to be at Central.
Kate and Ellie are my two girls who are in high school and middle school respectively. They attend Cannon School where their father is the Dean of Students.
I enjoy learning or trying new things. Currently, I am learning about making online computer simulations for biology and practicing Jiu-Jitsu. I enjoy gardening and believe if you are not killing some of your plants you are not stretching yourself in your learning.
Google Classroom: vt5s5lv
Quizlet: 1 Booker Biology Spring 2020
Google Classroom: hvvczoe
Quizlet: 3 Booker Biology Spring 2020
Google Classroom: j3iysee
Quizlet: 3 Booker Biology Spring 2020
Materials that you will want to have ASAP:
- 2 composition notebooks
- blue pen, black pen, and pencil
- earbuds for the Chromebooks
- a 3 prong folder or 1/2 inch 3 ring binder
- colored pencils, glue, scissors
You may like to have the following:
- your own colored pencils
- your own glue or tape and scissors
- two colors of highlighter
Parents ask about a wishlist:
- Any of the above materials for a student who can't get the materials themselves
- Hand soap or Hand sanitizer
- Small gift cards to a pet store like Pet'Smart or Pet Co (for crickets and frozen mice as well as fish tank supplies)
- Amazon WishList :https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/13GGOPPLXOS1V?ref_=wl_share
Class information Long Version can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AwB4muJPmbmfWgP9p9VkXX8FXvaoRGrJ8JRmGq10lZ0/edit?usp=sharing