Degrees and Certifications:
Mr. Keith Lee
I am honored to serve as band director for the 2020-2021 school year. Prior to being the director for MPHS, I served as the band director for MPMS from 2004-2015. Many of the students that are currently in the band are students I taught during their time at MPMS. I am also a member of the NC Army National Guard. In 2015, I took a full-time position with them and have just recently returned from a deployment to the Middle East. I am looking forward to working with the students at MPHS.
NEWSLETTER FOR 18 - 24 OCT 2020
PLAN “B” AND BAND: As you know, the school board elected to bring students back to school starting October 19th. All secondary grade level students will be in Plan “B,” which means students will come to school twice a week and will be home three days a week doing synchronous or asynchronous learning. Some of you will chose to stay completely remote. The start of getting folks back in the building is going to be a process.
I need you to understand that things are not going to be what you are accustomed to when it comes to being “in school.” There will be very strict protocols that you will have to follow. For my wind instrumentalist – until we get the specially ordered PPE that is required for you to play, we will not be able to play until that gets here. It should not be much longer, but for the first few days, winds classes will not be playing. For my percussion class, you will begin playing, but you will need to bring your own sticks and mallets. Percussionists also need to bring their drum pads (either the one I assigned to you if you borrowed one or bring your own). If I need to help you with that, let me know now. Things may not be very interesting at first. I promise it will get better, but it is going to be a process.
Please review this info that was sent out by the school:
- You must wear a mask at all times on school property and in the building.
- Temperature checks will take place BEFORE you exit your car or bus.
- You may not enter the building until 7:00 am.
- You must go straight to your 1st period class.
- If you are eating breakfast, you must pick it up in the commons BEFORE going to 1st period.
- There will not be a "second chance" breakfast offered.
- Lunch begins at 10:45 am and will be delivered to your 3rd period class
- As a reminder, school breakfast and lunch are free to ALL students throughout the school year.
- You may bring your own lunch, if you'd like.
- Microwaves will NOT be available for students.
- You may not congregate in the commons or hallways.
BAND FUNDRAISER: THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ!!! We have not had great traction with this. Maybe that is because everyone is so inundated with information right now, that there is being pushed to the side. Completely understandable. With that being said, we have decided to postpone the start of this fundraiser until after we begin our Plan B phase. Please look for a big push to occur very soon on this. This fundraiser is so very important. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A BAND EXPERIENCE THAT YOU ARE ACCUSTOMED TO HAVING (OR BETTER), FUNDRAISING MUST COMMENCE AND IT MUST BE DONE AT A HIGH LEVEL!!!
ASSIGNMENTS FOR THE FIRST QUARTER: All assignments for students are posted in Canvas. At this point, I don’t believe I have any students who are having a hard time logging in to Canvas, but if you are, please let me know ASAP. We began to get in to some playing tasks and some music theory tasks. All directions for the tasks are can be found when you click into the assignment, and hopefully they are easy to follow. If you are having issues with any task, let me know ASAP so that I may help you. I can’t help you if you don’t communicate that you need the help.
Last week and this week, students have had/will have the opportunity to get caught up on assignments that was assigned this past quarter. All students must get all assignments turned in by 11:59 p.m. on 22 Oct 2020 for credit.
Students need to get in a habit of making sure items are turned in on time. Unlike the spring, all assigned tasks count. You will be held accountable for completion/non-completion of a task. If you have an issue completing a task, please contact me ASAP. Communication is key…….
MARCHING BAND/COLORGUARD INFORMATION: We are currently looking at all the requirements/protocols that we need to follow. At this present time, things continue to change, so I do not feel great about sending out information until we have the most concrete info we can. Once this occurs, a plan that is organized and “fool proof” will be created and we will share a calendar of rehearsals with you. WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING STUDENTS BACK AND GETTING BACK TO WHAT WE LOVE TO DO! I AM HOPING THAT BY THE 1st WEEK OF NEVEMBER, WE CAN GET REHEARSALS/PRACTICES CRANKED UP AGAIN.
SPECIAL NOTE FROM MR. LEE: Things have been extremely crazy and it seems like that every time we take one step forward, we end up taking 10 back. The one thing that has kept things intact is your work and belief in the program. I know this situation has not been easy.
I hate to add one more element of “change” to the mix. I have been called on active duty orders with the NC Army National Guard. These orders are extended orders. With this being said, effective immediately, we are working on finding a replacement to take over the Mount Pleasant High School Band Program.
I will be doing work, especially early on, to ensure the program is in a good place. I will be doing a lot of the planning for classes. I will also be around early on to get things rolling with after school rehearsals, All District tryouts, band fundraisers/booster functions, etc. I do not want my exit to be cause for students to miss out on things. There has already been too much of that with COVID. I want to make sure the kids have the best possible experience they can.
For the first couple of weeks, there will be a short term sub that takes things on. I will be doing a lot of things on Canvas for you to do during this time. Our hope will be to have someone in place to cover the remaining part of the year in place in a couple weeks. Whomever comes in will be working with me to ensure you have a great experience.
I know this may be a hard pill to swallow, especially with everything that has been going on, but I want to ensure you that things will be set up for you and this program to succeed this year and into the future. Only the best possible candidates will be considered for this gig.
This is definitely not the way I wanted to tell you this, but our current school situation did not allow me any other opportunity. Unfortunately, everything transpired so quickly on the military side, that there was really no other option.
Please know I am extremely grateful for the time with this program. You all have made me very proud. I know you will continue to do great things and I know that for whomever comes into this program, you will welcome them with open arms.
As always, if you have any issues, questions, etc., feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
BAND STUDENTS (PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION):LOG ON TO YOUR CANVAS COURSE TO GET THE APPROPRIATE LINK FOR YOUR SYNCRONOUS MEETING. IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES, USE THE LINKS BELOW TO LOG ON TO THE APPROPRIATE MICROSOFT TEAMS LINK FOR YOU SYNCHRONOUS CLASSES.
Schedule for Remote Learning:
- 1st BLOCK (Monday - Thursday 8:35 - 9:35 a.m.):
- 2nd BLOCK (Monday - Thursday 9:45 - 10:45 a.m.):
- 4th BLOCK (Monday - Thursday 12:25 - 1:25 p.m.):
Monday - Thursday
7:15 - 8:35
Clubs, Office Hours by Appointment
*Homeroom (if needed)
Office Hours by Appointment
8:35 - 9:35
1st Block Work Time
9:35 - 9:45
9:45 - 10:45
2nd Block Work Time
10:45 - 10:55
10:55 - 11:55
3rd Block Work Time
11:55 - 12:25
12:25 - 1:25
4th Block Work Time
1:25 - 2:15
Summer/Fall Semester 2020 Schedule:
- 1st Period - Band (I, II, III, IV)
- 2nd Period - Band (I, II, III, IV)
- 3rd Period - Planning
- 4th Period - Percussion (I, II, III, IV)
- Your school email is through Microsoft Office 365
- Your email address is your Active Directory user name followed by @cabarrus.k12.nc.us
- Your password is your student ID
- Click Office 365 under Quick Links on our home page or go directly to portal.office.com- bookmark this site!
- Your username is your entire email address, ie, for Bart Simpson 123456789,
- Username firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: 123456789
- If you are unable to login, please ask your teacher to enter a work order that includes your name and student ID.
- When logging into Office 365 at home, you will be asked for your password.
- Want to setup email on your phone? Here's how.
We will be utilizing Canvas where all assignments can be accessed. You will need to follow the following instructions to access Canvas
I will be pushing out information via the Remind App. This system will be used to send you quick text messages about important info for each one of my classes. Please sign up for the appropriate class:
1st and 2nd Blocks: https://remind.com/join/be9g4d
4th Block: https://www.remind.com/join/3288cg3
Cut Time (www.cuttime.net)
All assignments will also be posted in Cut Time. If you do not remember your CutTime logins, please e-mail me to help you get that back up and running with that.
We will be posting weekly playing assignments in Smartmusic. In order to utilize the system, you must either use a desktop, laptop, chromebook (which has been made available to you through the school if you need one), or iPad. If you are using an iPAD, there is a Smartmusic app that can be downloaded. For the other devices, use your "Chrome" browser to go to the website.
If you are having issues with the system or you do not have the necessary tools to complete an assignment, I will modify a given assignment for you.
Starting next week, I am going to be making myself available during the office hours on Microsoft Teams for face time interaction, chats, etc.
Contact InformationEmail: Keith.Lee@cabarrus.k12.nc.usPhone: 704.267.6707
- All course information and calendar for all band functions are maintained on http://mpband.org/
- All students and at least one parent/guardian will be given an account through www.cuttime.net to keep track of important dates, newsletters, assignments, etc.
- If you are not on the e-mail list to receive the band newsletters via e-mail, please let Mr. Lee know and he will make sure you are placed on the e-mail list.
- PLEASE REQUEST TO BECOME A MEMBER OF THE MP MARCHING BAND FACEBOOK PAGE! We utilize this quite a bit for quick communication.