Social Media Awareness and Cyber Bullying
October 11, 2017
6:00-7:30 p.m. at W.R. Odell Elementary School
Do you know what your children are doing online today? How well do you understand the ever-changing social media platforms that our children are using today – Snapchat, Instagram, Vine, Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr? Do you really know what your kids are viewing on these apps/sites? What steps can you take to ensure your child is safe, personal material/content is kept private and protective measures are established?
Do you have a child between the age of 5 and 18? You don’t want to miss this seminar presented by Susan Wind from Parents kNOwmore. Parents will be educated on the latest trends that adolescents are using to communicate electronically. She offers a vast amount of advice, education and resources that parents will find helpful as they deal with these serious issues they are faced with daily.
This program will cover the following material:
- Statistics / Case Studies on Cyber Bullying
- Current programs/apps the adolescents are using today online
- Terminology (phrases used, trends today, verbiage for the online communicator)
- How to locate the apps on the phones and ipads/computers
- The Laws (State Statutes) that apply to cyber bullying
- Methods of bullying online
- Social Media websites – why are they dangerous?
- How parents can track their children online
- Technology used to monitor devices
- Legal ramifications for parents AND adolescents
- Resources for parents and their children
Susan Wind is a college professor who has taught, designed and implemented Criminal Justice Courses throughout the US for the past fifteen years. She has worked in different entities of the criminal justice system. For the past twelve years, she has been doing consulting work with financial institutions all over the US, providing training on cybercrimes and security topics (i.e., money laundering, identity theft, atm/debit card thefts, fraud, bank robbery, active shooters, social media, etc.). For the past four years, she has been conducting research and offering programs to local businesses on cyber-bullying and social media awareness. Susan has published numerous articles on this topic and has developed curriculum for schools to implement in their training programs. She can be reached at susan@parentsknowmore or (954) 736-7038.
Please visit the website at www.parentsknowmore.com too!