Welcome to Patriots STEM! Our program centers around solving global problems utilizing a problem-based learning model. This model begins with presenting students with a global problem and working towards finding solutions. While the curriculum emphasizes the connection between science and mathematics, it relies heavily on the meaningful integration of technology.
Each student will continue to study the standards set by North Carolina’s Department of Public Instruction (DPI). However, their experiences will be enriched by the use of Problem Based Learning. The STEM program at Patriots will focus on integrating science, technology, engineering and mathematics within each of the state standards for each grade level. Students will be engaged in experiential, real-world problems that help them question and learn.
Student Opportunities - Students designing, collaboration, real world connections, problem/project-based learning, use of technology, STEM clubs/competitions
Classroom Environment - Integrated content, multiple assessment types, personalized, hands-on learning
School Structures - STEM spaces, strategic staffing, professional development, STEM leadership pathways
School Culture - Ongoing data tracking, school-wide STEM vision, student innovation encouraged, focus on underrepresented students
Community Connection - STEM network connections, active STEM Advisory Council, community partners
What Makes STEM Different?
- Integration of communication, collaboration, optimism, creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving
- Active STEM Advisory Council that meets quarterly
- Problem/Project Based Learning experiences assigned routinely
- Emphasis on Student Collaboration with assigned roles
- Employability Skills Reinforced (soft skills)
- Career exposure and aligning students career pathways (3 tiered STEM portfolio)
- Focus on integration across all levels
- K-12 vertical alignment of STEM practices/curriculum
STEM field trips
- Opportunities for Student Empowerment (voice and choice)
- Engineering Design Process embedded at all schools
Elementary and Middle- every teacher a STEM teacher
- K-12 pipeline with 4 NC STEM Schools of Distinction