• Earning the privilege to drive is a milestone event in the lives of most Americans.  Please remember that with this privilege comes lots of responsibility.  We hope this webpage will provide you with answers to commonly asked questions as you embark on this important journey.  If you have questions that are not answered here, please feel free to contact the Student Support Services Office at Hickory Ridge High School and ask for Mrs. Lisa Ryan at 704-260-6639.  

  • How do I get my Driver's License or Permit in NC?


    • Once you have taken your driver’s class, you will need to bring in your Class Completion Certificate to show you have completed the course. This form has to be stamped and signed by a school official.


    • Ms. Ryan, our school registrar, will then give you a Driver’s Eligibility Certificate (DEC), after verifying your grades. You must pass 3 out of 4 classes in order to get your permit (and to KEEP it!). *This form does expire after 30 days.


    • Then you will need to take both forms, your birth certificate, social security card, and any other documents needed to the DMV.


    • If you do not go to the DMV within the 30 days from receiving the DEC, you will have to pay $5 to get a new one. 


    • Due to current school closures, anyone needing a DEC will need to make an appointment with Ms. Ryan by emailing her at: lisa.ryan@cabarrus.k12.nc.us 
Last Modified on March 11, 2021