Free and Reduced Application Information

  • LunchApp
     The Application Window is currently closed.  Please visit us after July 1, 2018


    Children need healthy meals to learn. Cabarrus County Schools offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $1.15 (K-5), $1.30 (6-12); lunch costs $2.45 (K-5), $2.55 (6-12). Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced breakfast is free and $.40 for lunch.

    The first step is to fill out a Free & Reduced Application. They are now available online at and at the school office, school cafeteria or the Education Center.  An application can be filled out and turned in at any time during the school year if your family's financial situation changes. Once the application is filled out completely, it can be turned in to any of the places listed above.  The application will then be processed and you will be notified by a letter sent home with the student. Listed below are some other frequently asked questions about the application process.


    1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child? No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to the School Nutrition office at 111 Union Cemetery Rd., SW, Concord, NC 28027-6831.
    2. Who can get free meals? Children in households receiving Food and Nutrition Services (FNS, formerly Food Stamps) benefits, or getting TANF automatically qualify for free meals.  If the household income is less than 130% of poverty, based on the size of your household, children may receive free meals.

    3. Can homeless, runaway, and migrant children get free meals? Please call (704) 262-6143 to see if your child(ren) qualify, if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.

    4. Who can get reduced price meals? Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is between 131% and 185% of the Federal Poverty level for your household size. 

    5. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free and reduced price meals? Please read the letter you received carefully and follow the instructions. Call the School Nutrition Program Office at (704) 784-5124 if you have questions.

    6. I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced meals. Please fill out an application.

    7. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.

    8. If I don't qualify now, may I apply later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start receiving Food and Nutrition Services (FNS, formerly Food Stamps) or getting TANF/Work First or other benefits. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals.

    9. What if I disagree with the school's decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: John Basilice, Student Support Services Coordinator, 111 Union Cemetery Rd., SW, Concord, NC 28027-6831; (704) 784-5124.

    10. May I apply if someone in my household is not a US citizen? Yes. You or your children do not have to be a US citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

    11. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.

    12. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.

    13. We are in the military; do we include our housing allowance as income? If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. All other allowances must be included in your gross income.

    14. What if I don't have an income at this time? Mark all the "no" income boxes accordingly and your child(ren) will be placed on a temporary status for 45 days.  You should contact the School Nutrition office (or mail back the new application that will be sent out to you) to discuss further eligibility for meals or your child(ren) could be placed on full pay status.

Last Modified on June 26, 2018