Application Process for Bus Drivers
- Applicant applies for a position online through district web
- Pre-employment/ background check is performed to determine eligibility for hire and ability to obtain a NC CDL license.
- Once approved, the applicant is provided with the Virtual Bus Class Schedule via a secure link and is enrolled in the 3-day class with the 4th day (in person) for a written test.
- Upon successfully completing Bus Class, applicant will obtain a CDL Learners Permit through the NC Division of Motor Vehicles. (Cost $ 73.25)
- Applicant must successfully complete a DOT Physical at either a Fast Med location or a DOT physician of his/her choice. (CCS Provided Voucher for Fast Med)
- Applicant will contact Transportation HR Specialist and set up an appointment to complete interview/pre-employment paperwork and DOT Drug Test.
- After a minimum of 14 days of obtaining the CDL Learners Permit, applicant will complete 4 days of behind the wheel training and testing with a NC DMV assigned agent for the district.
- If the applicant is successful with the behind the wheel training, applicant will make another appointment with the NC DMV to obtain his/her Full CDL License with P&S Endorsements. (Cost $ 90)
- HR Transportation Specialist will connect back with applicant to ensure all items including their full CDL license and hiring materials are complete.
- HR Transportation Specialist will then submit all documents to HR for the hiring process.
- HR will issue a DOT Clearinghouse Consent via email and online secure link.
- Driver Candidate will complete and submit the link back to the DOT for consent to run a federal background check.
- If all documents are completed and all checks are clear, HR will move forward and determine rate of pay and set start date with a “Congratulations” email to the new hired driver.
- New drivers will come to Transportation Offices on their start date for onboarding process and be assigned a route to drive. (Typically, a ride along is assigned with a veteran driver until new employees are confident with the route.)
Last Modified on October 20, 2022