CONGRATULATIONS! 2022/23 Officers
We would like to welcome the new AOHS class of 2026 to Northwest Cabarrus High School. We look forward to meeting you and working with you over the next 4 years!
Welcome to the Academy of Health Sciences
Career Development CoordinatorAcademy Coordinator(704) 260-6720 ext. 45903Curriculum Instruction Management Coordinator(704) 260-6720 ext. 45252
What is AOHS?
The Academy of Health Sciences (AOHS) is a four-year career academy affiliated with the National Academy Foundation (NAF). AOHS curricula introduces students to health career possibilities though a series of career exploration courses. All courses use project-based learning techniques with an emphasis on strengthening literacy, project management, leadership, and team building skills while fostering creativity and innovation. The curricula is vetted by industry professionals to ensure content is current and relevant. NAF addresses the critical achievement gap in STEM fields by developing a pipeline of students prepared to pursue health-related degrees and professions in one of the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
What is NAF?
The National Academy Foundation (NAF) is a non-profit organization established in 1989. The mission of the National Academy Foundation is to sustain a national network of career academies to support the development of America's youth toward personal and professional success in high school, in higher education, and throughout their careers. NAF academies function as dynamic partnerships and collaborations between schools, teachers, administrators, business volunteers, and an active Advisory Board led by industry professionals.
- Health Sciences is the fastest growing career field in the United States
- Since sequencing the human genome, analysts have predicted that Biotechnology will be one of the most important applied sciences of the 21st century
- Employment in healthcare support occupations is expected to grow by 34.5% by 2020 (~1.4 million jobs)
- Healthcare practitioners and technical occupations are projected to add 2 million new jobs from 2010-2020
- Many of the universities, research centers, and companies that lead the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and life sciences field are right here in North Carolina!!!