Scholarships can be an important part of paying for college. Earning scholarships requires planning, preparation, research and diligent effort toward completing applications. Many students and families are not sure how or where to begin the scholarship research and application process. The information on this webpage can be a helpful start, but be sure to utilize other resources as well. Don't limit yourself by using only a single source for scholarship information. We recommend that you begin by watching the "Tips from Counselors" video on this page.
CMHS School-Nominated Scholarship Application
Some competitive scholarships require a school nomination. The Cox Mill High School Scholarship Committee will select nominees from those who express interest in the scholarships listed below and submit their CMHS Application and materials by the designated deadlines. The deadline for the CMHS School-Nominated Scholarship Application is a rolling deadline, but students who wish to be considered for all should submit prior to September 24, 2021. Students are responsible for researching individual scholarship criteria for each scholarship listed. Most require a separate application to be completed if selected for the school nomination. Students will be notified if selected as a school-nominee.
- UNC-Chapel Hill - Morehead-Cain Scholarship Students should start a separate application as a "self-nominee" on the Morehead-Cain scholarship site separately and will be instructed to change their status to "school-nominee" if chosen as a school nominee. Deadline for the separate application on the MC site: 10/15/21. Deadline to be considered as a School Nominee: 9/24/21
- NC State - Park Scholarship Students should start a separate application as a "self-nominee" or self endorse on the NC State Park scholarship site separately and will be instructed to change their status to "school-nominee" if chosen as a school nominee. Deadline for the separate application on the NC State site: 10/15/21. Deadline to be considered as a School Nominee: 9/24/21.
- Davidson College - Belk Scholarship (deadline: 9/24/21)
- Davidson College - Bryan Athletic Scholarship (deadline: 9/24/21)
- UNC Charlotte - Levine Scholar (deadline: 9/24/21)
- NC Central - Cheatham White Scholarship (deadline: 9/24/21) School nominee and Self-nominee option (Self nominee deadline: Nov 15)
- NC A&T - Cheatham White Scholarship (deadline: 9/24/21) School nominee and Self-nominee option (Self nominee deadline: Nov 15)
- SECU - People Helping People Scholarship (deadline: 2/1/22) More information provided in Spring
- Cabarrus County Agricultural Fair Scholarship (deadline: 2/1/22) More information provided in Spring
- CMHS Faculty-Staff Scholarship (deadline: 4/30/22) More information provided in Spring
Students will need to upload the following when completing the application:
- Current Photo
- Resume (1 page)
- Personal Essay (1-2 page personal statement...your story, beliefs, goals, etc.)
- Financial Need Statement (optional)
- Teacher contact for Teacher Recommendation (Send link to form below to teacher/recommender)
CMHS Local Scholarship Database
Some local scholarship providers share information with our school. When these opportunities are shared with us, we pass the information along to students via a scholarship database. We are happy to provide this service, but we caution students and parents about the limited nature of this list. Multiple sources for scholarship information are strongly advised so students and families have a broad base of knowledge and opportunities from which they are drawing.