Graduation Requirements Overview
Cox Mill High School's graduation requirements are determined by the State of North Carolina and Cabarrus County Schools. Graduation requirements can vary from one year to the next, so it is important to consult the requirements that were in effect the year you entered high school.Responsibility for tracking a student's progress through the graduation requirements is a collaborative effort between students, parents/guardians, and school counselors. CMHS school counselors review graduation requirements with students at least twice each year; parents/guardians can attend a presentation on the graduation requirements during the registration process each spring. Finally, new enrollees will review the graduation requirements at their enrollment appointment with their school counselors. Consult your school counselor if you have any questions or concerns about the graduation requirements.Graduation Requirements may not meet Minimum Admission Requirements for some colleges and universities. Be sure to check the Minimum Admission Requirements for the colleges to which you plan to apply. For your convenience, a quick link to the UNC System's Minimum Admission Requirements is available on the right.
Entered HS 2012-2013 or Later
English English I
Math Math I
ScienceEarth & Environmental ScienceBiologyA Physical Science Social Studies
Civics & Economics
American History I
American History II
Health & PE Health & PE World Languages*
Chinese I & II
Spanish I & II
Career Cluster Four course sequence in a Career Cluster; visit Career Cluster webpage for more information. Electives Additional elective to get to a total of 27 credits. Total 27 Credits
Graduation Requirements - Special Tips
- Many courses can be taken at the standard/regular or Honors levels.
- Some courses can be taken at the AP level but must be taken in the yearlong format to count toward completing the graduation requirement.
- Advanced Math options will be discussed with students as they draw nearer to making those course selections. Options include Discrete Math, Advanced Functions & Modeling, Pre-calculus, AP Statistics, AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC.
- *World Languages* are not required for high school graduation but are required for admission to a four-year college or university. We advise a minimum of two credits in the same language; those planning to apply to more competitive colleges and universities should consider taking three or more credits in the same foreign language.
- Career Clusters are recommended by the State of North Carolina but required by Cabarrus County Schools.
- Some students who transfer into Cox Mill High School be required to earn fewer than 27 credits for high school graduation, depending on their maximum credit potential over their four years of high school.