Minimum Substitute Qualifications
You must be at least 21 years old, hold a high school diploma or equivalent, have a clear criminal record and meet one of the following:
- At least 30 semester hours of credit from a regionally accredited 4-year college or university, or from a regionally accredited community college, technical institute or other college. Credit hours must be in a degree program. (a copy of all transcripts must be included in the online application)
- A minimum combined score of 800 (old) or 1200 (new) on the SAT, or a score of 18 or better on the ACT. (score report must be included in the online application)
- A National Career Readiness Certificate indicating a Silver Level or higher preferred score
ANDYou must meet one of the following:
- Hold a current or expired teaching license from North Carolina or another state
- Proof of completion of Effective Teacher Training
Effective Teacher Training
Effective Teacher Training is offered through Cabarrus County Schools. The cost of the course is $75.00 which includes the course, textbook and additional materials used during the course and for general supplies. Please know, Effective Teacher Training does not guarantee you a substitute position in Cabarrus County Schools.Payment may be made by cash or check. All checks should be made payable to Cabarrus County Schools. Payment may be brought to the Human Resources office at 4401 Old Airport Rd, Concord NC 28026 or mailed to P.O. Box 388, Concord, NC 28026-0388. Payment must be received prior to the date of your workshop.Please click on the link below if you would like to register for our next Effective Teacher Training scheduled for July 18th and 19th from 8:00am-4:00pm. You must attend both days of the workshop to receive credit.
Substitute Application Process
- Applicant completes an on-line Substitute Application: Substitute Teacher applications must be completed online: http://www.applitrack.com/cabarrus/onlineapp/ . Applications must be complete in order to be considered. The following must be included in the online application:
- Three professional references, one which must be a current or former supervisor
- College transcripts and/or test scores (see substitute qualifications for details)
- Copy of teaching license or Effective Teacher Training certificate
- Health Form
- Two forms of identification (a valid driver’s license, state ID or passport, social security card or birth certificate)
- Applications are reviewed and sorted, and candidates selected as substitutes are contacted to attend a required substitute orientation.
Current/Valid North Carolina teaching license.
$95.00 Expired NC license, out-of-state license, four-year degree with effective teacher training
Unlicensed, less than four year degree, must have Effective Teacher Training
Any substitute filling a teacher assistant position
Note: To substitute for four consecutive weeks (20 days) or more in one classroom, a North Carolina Teacher Certification is required in that area.
CCS Retired Teachers or Former Teachers and Teacher Assistants
- Retirees must have a six month break in service before beginning as a substitute.
- Complete the online application as an external employee.
- Include a reference from your most recent CCS principal.
- Contact Human Resources at 704-262-6229 to let them know your application is complete.
- Human Resources reviews applications.
- Once approved by Human Resources, former employees will be required to attend an abbreviated substitute orientation.
Expired or Out of State Teaching License
Please click on the link below for further information about how to obtain a North Carolina Teaching License or renew your original North Carolina Teaching License. Please contact Human Resources at 704-262-6229 if you have any questions.
Substitute Payroll Information
Employee PortalThe ISIS employee portal is our system’s automated process used to electronically account for time, attendance, leave and provides electronic access to your personal paystubs, tax forms and W-2’s.• demographic, leave balance and check history available• employees can view and print checks• employees can view and print w2's• employees can view leave balancesEmployee Portal - First Time AccessFirst time users will need to log in and create a unique PIN # easily remembered; you are the only one who will know this PIN number. ID and PIN numbers are strictly confidential and may not be given to or used by another employee. ID and PIN numbers allow access to personal and private payroll information. Users are solely responsible for the security of their PIN number.
• Step 1 – Log In: Type in Employee # («Employee_Number») and Enter
• Step 2 – Enter PIN: Type Employee # («Employee_Number») AGAIN and Enter
• Step 3 – Enter your new PIN # TWICE and Enter• Step 4 – Confirm your PIN has been changedFederal and State TaxesUnder a new North Carolina General Assembly tax requirement (House Bill 998), most taxpayers may no longer claim a personal exemption for themselves, their spouse, children, or any other qualifying dependents. Additionally, many deductions and tax credits that impact North Carolina withholding tax are no longer available beginning on or after January 1, 2014. As a result of this Act, Cabarrus County Schools is required to have a new NC4 on file or deduct taxes at “Single” with Zero Allowances. Please review your current tax information online and consider your options. If you need to change your withholdings, Cabarrus County Schools accepts both federal and state tax changes via our employee information portal.Direct DepositDirect deposit is mandatory for any Cabarrus County Schools payroll compensation. This includes salary, hourly wages, supplements, longevity, disability, contracts, substitutes and all other forms of paid compensation. Checks may be viewed and printed through the employee portal and are not mailed.
More than 15 years ago, Cabarrus County Schools began offering optional electronic payroll direct deposit. Soon after, it became inefficient and costly to continue two separate check-writing processes; direct deposit then became mandatory for all part-time and full-time employees.Paychecks will not be released without direct deposit information or a completed enrollment form.