• Are you a student teacher wanting to substitute? 

    Go here for more information


    For all other substitutes:


    • You must be at least 21 years old 
    • Hold a high school diploma or equivalent 
    • Have a clear criminal record  


    • Hold a current or expired teaching license from any state


                                 The cost of the course is $29.00 non refundable

                  CCS will accept App-Garden certificates from other N.C. School Systems.




    1. Gather your documents:  High School Diploma or Degree Data Transcript.  If you hold a teaching license, please have that available as well.

    2. Contact at least 3 people that you would like to use as references.  Verify their contact information (including their email address) to be able to enter on your application.  Make sure to list only professional  references including at least 1 supervisor and coworkers.  We cannot accept references from friends and family members.

    3. Click on the link below to begin the application process.  

                                            APPLY TODAY!

    4. Complete ALL sections of the application.

    5. Scan and upload the required documents, including this health form (reduced size pdf is preferred)

    6. Review your entries for accuracy.

    7. Click SUBMIT


    Applications are reviewed and sorted. Candidates selected to continue in the hiring process will be contacted to attend a required training session.




    Current/Expired teaching license.




    Any substitute filling teacher assistant position

    Note:  To substitute for four consecutive weeks (20 days) or more in one classroom, a current/valid North Carolina Teaching License is required in that area.




    • Retirees must have a six month break in service before beginning as a substitute.
    • Complete the online application as an external employee.
    • Include a reference from your most recent CCS principal.
    • Contact Human Resources at 704-260-5741 or e-mail amber.hartsell@cabarrus.k12.nc.us to let Human Resources know your application is complete.
    • Human Resources reviews applications.



    Please click on the link below for further information about how to obtain a North Carolina Teaching License or renew your original North Carolina Teaching License.
    Please contact Human Resources at 704-260-5741 if you have any questions.



    Cabarrus County Schools periodically offers workshops to assist our substitutes that need continuing education credits for licensure.  Opportunities will be listed here as they are scheduled.  Please review periodically if interested.

    For workshops offered to substitutes through Cabarrus County Schools, the Substitute Professional Development Verification Form  must be completed and signed by the facilitator of each workshop in order to receive credit.  

    Please hold on to all of your CEUs until you have completed the required amount of hours.  Please know, you should look for workshops that are related to your teaching license.  Once ALL CEUs are completed, you may contact Human Resources for assistance.  

    NC DPI CEU Renewal Requirements

Important Payroll Information

  • Pay Stubs and W2's

    In order to review your pay stubs and access your W2 forms at the end of the year, you will need to login to the employee portal.  See directions below.  For assistance with the employee portal, please contact the payroll department.  

    Employee Portal 



    Federal and State Taxes


    Under a new North Carolina General Assembly tax requirement (House Bill 998), most taxpayers may no longer claim a personal exemption for themselves, their spouse, children, or any other qualifying dependents. Additionally, many deductions and tax credits that impact North Carolina withholding tax are no longer available beginning on or after January 1, 2014. As a result of this Act, Cabarrus County Schools is required to have a new NC4 on file or deduct taxes at “Single” with Zero Allowances. Please review your current tax information online and consider your options. If you need to change your withholdings, Cabarrus County Schools accepts both federal and state tax changes via our employee information portal.



Last Modified on February 10, 2023