The answer to this question depends upon whether you want to participate in the State loan process or if you plan to self-pay.
A. If you want the State loan you must meet the following criteria:
- have completed three full years in NC Public Schools
- hold a valid, clear, continuing Standard Professional II NC teaching license
- have not previously received state funds for participating in the NBPTS assessment
- are engaged in classroom instruction, media work, or counseling 70% of the academic year
* If you have just completed your third full year in NC, please wait until mid-July to apply or you application may be rejected and your fee is non-refundable.
B. If you would like to pay the $1900 assessment fee, you must meet the following criteria:
*The three years of experience do not have to be from North Carolina.
- hold a bachelor's degree
- have completed three full years of teaching/counseling experience
- possess a valid state teaching/counseling license for that period of time, or, if teaching where a license is not required, have taught in schools recognized and approved to operate by the state
You will receive 3 days of release time only if you are a first-time candidate. Please make arrangements with your administration and financial secretary well in advance. Your financial sectretary can contact Human Resources and the CCS Payroll Department for appropriate codes.
You will earn 8.0 CEUs for the completion of the National Board process. If you do not pass the process, the CEUs must be used in your current license renewal cycle. If you pass the process, the CEUs can be used in your current renewal cycle or the next renewal cycle. You will receive 2.0 CEUs for renewal which must be used in the cycle in which you renew.