Welcome to 8th Grade and Team Breakthrough Bandits!
2nd Block 9:10-10:10
3rd Block 10:15-11:15
4th Block 11:20-12:20
Lunch Break 12:20-1:15
5th Block 1:15-2:15
My name is Kaleigh Oliver. I'm originally from Morganton, North Carolina. In 2012, I graduated from UNC Charlotte with a Bachelor of Arts in Middle Grades Education with concentrations in English/Language Arts and Math and a minor in Women and Gender Studies. In May 2017, I graduated with a Master of Education in Middle and Secondary Education with a concentration in English/Language Arts. This is my seventh year at CC Griffin, and I could not be more excited! I am also the 7th Grade Cheerleading Coach and an advisor for GSSA. Go, Gryphons!
2:30-3:30pm every Wednesday
Units of Study
Unit 1 - Agency and Independence: Launching Reading Workshop with Experienced Readers
Unit 2 - Developing Analytical Reading Practices: Interpretation
Unit 3 - Memoir Writing
Unit 4 - Nonfiction Reading: Navigating Expository, Narrative, and Hybrid Nonfiction
Unit 5 - Developing Critical Lenses for Informational Reading
Unit 6 - Informational Writing
Unit 7 - Tackling Complex Texts
Unit 8 - Literary Essay (Argumentative Writing)
Poetry and Vocabulary will be integrated throughout each unit.
- Poetry will be incorporated weekly and will build on the current thematic unit.
- There will be two vocabulary sorts completed each quarter, so there will be a total of eight vocabulary sorts throughout the year.
Current and upcoming assignments are posted on Canvas.
- Make sure you add our class Remind for updates and reminders about ELA.
- Join our class on Microsoft Teams to participate in LIVE classes.
- Check PowerSchool weekly for updated grades.